[Avodah] KeViAs Seudah, MeZonos HaMotzi

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Sep 21 15:45:59 PDT 2016

The Mitzvah of Sukkah is defined by Teshvu KeEin TaDuru [TKTd]
Its not the size of the meal nor the time quantity of any activity that
defines what must be performed in the Sukkah. It is the perceived quality
of that activity that makes TKTd.

A hurried everyday lunch and a standard hurried breakfast, does not
constitute TKTd because its not, *what we usually do* but what we perceive
as respectable living, that defines TKTd.

As R Akivah Miller said, the nature of the situation of "Pas Habaa B'Kisnin
in the morning" constitutes Kevias Seudah for Hilchos Sukkah. I suggest
this is not a hurried bite, but a proper unhurried meal for that time and
place. [BTW Pas HaBaAh BeKisnin is simply corrupted bread, altered to the
point where it is no longer seen as the bread used in a normal meal - a
very subjective evaluation, which explains why the Halachic definitions no
longer apply]

Similarly, with defining a Seudah; a workday hurried lunch no matter that
it is eaten by a vast majority, is not seen, even by those who regularly
eat it, as a meal. Meals eaten with ones eye on the clock do not qualify as
a Seudah. It is insulting if amongst all the guests at the Shabbos table
being served Shabbos food, one fellow is served with an airline meal or the
hurried business day lunch they usually eat.

R Micha observes that Talmudic meals were foods [Lefes = LePas?] consumed
on/with some flatbread. This explains why all foods are Tafel to bread and
one Beracha of HaMotzi covers the entire meal. For us that is the
equivalent of sandwiches, which accordingly calls into question the
validity of making HaMotzi these days for all the foods served at the meal.
Many restaurants these days do not even put bread on the table, one must
ask for it.
Loaf shaped breads I presume were used by spreading the food on it or were
eaten together with the other foods served at the meal, again something
that is becoming less common.

Best,

Meir G. Rabi