[Avodah] whole wheat challah

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Sep 30 03:10:18 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 29, 2016 at 12:59:11AM -0400, via Avodah wrote:
: I understand that wearing blue shirts on Shabbos is a sign of kalus  rosh
: and impiety, but whole wheat challah?!  Do different varieties of  bread
: signify different points on the frum spectrum? she asked  with a rye smile.

Historically, dark bread was considered inferior. Thus, unlike fashions
in clothing or table-cloth colors, there are actual pesaqim against
using dark, coarse, bread.

I don't think anyone holds they still apply mei'iqar hadin, now that many
consider whole wheat bread superior to white. But RMF (in the teshvah
under discussion, but phrased in my own terms) holds that this challah
recipe norm had risen to the level of minhag, and shouldn't be changed.
I do not know if RMF would say the same to someone who prefers whole wheat
bread for taste reasons rather than health benefits. As his objection
was that the difference in health benefit was insufficient reason to
use aesthetically inferior bread.

(And not too many people who accept the benefits of avoiding white bread
would say there is a serious problem with making an exception for three
hamotzis a weak, plus chagim.)

:-)BBii!

Micha Berger             The thought of happiness that comes from outside
micha at aishdas.org        the person, brings him sadness. But realizing
http://www.aishdas.org   the value of one's will and the freedom brought
Fax: (270) 514-1507      by uplifting its, brings great joy. - R' Kook