[Avodah] Rav Melamed on Metal Pots

Akiva Miller via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Sep 27 17:12:08 PDT 2016

R' David Riceman wrote:

> On cast iron see
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast_iron
> and
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cast-iron_cookware
>
> Most of the pots in our house are either stainless steel or
> enameled cast iron or anodized aluminum, none of which were
> available for cooking before the 1900s (maybe late 1800s?),
> and all of which have very different properties than clay
> or cast iron pots.

I understand that cast iron is very different than stainless steel. It is
also very different from silver, copper, wood, pottery, and many other
materials. My question is: What makes stainless steel so categorically
different from these others that people want to say that it does not absorb
taam?

> And the routine use of soap to clean pots is also new.

How is that relevant?

Akiva Miller