[Avodah] whole wheat challah

Isaac Balbin via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Sep 24 04:11:37 PDT 2016

From: Marty Bluke via Avodah
> R' Eli Turkel asked
>> I note in my shul that it is becoming more common to see light blue or even
>> striped shirts on shabbat. Again how much of this dress wear in time
>> dependent?"

> Of course it is completely time dependent, Did Chazal wear white shirts?
> No one even 200 years ago wore suits white shirts and ties on shabbos.
> In fact even 100 years ago the typical Lithuanian yeshiva bachur dressed
> differently then today (just look at Professor Levine's pictures) and
> would not be recognized as a yeshiva bachur today.

This is true, although on Yom Kippur, of course, males and females have
a universal long time minhag to wear white.

One thing that bothers me is a trend NOT to wear a suit on Shabbos
because the businessman says that they wear a suit and tie on a Yom Chol,
and they don't like to be dressed in "work attire". Perhaps the only
way out is to wear a longer Kapote! To me, it just doesn't work that
you stand at work in respectable clothes (suit, depending on vocation)
and on Shabbos, it's less so. I understand in Israel, especially years
ago, many didn't have or wear suits. Some had one suit, and it was for
Shabbos. Wearing a white shirt and dark trousers certainly looked like
they were Shabbosdik. In my Yeshivah during the week they didn't wear
white shirts during the week, so it stood out on Shabbos. Yom Tov takes
it one step further in terms of clothing quality.