[Avodah] Kissing Holy Texts in Unholy volumes

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Sep 22 10:11:20 PDT 2016

On 21/09/16 22:31, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah wrote:
> It is true that we would likely not kiss and show honour to a
> 1000-page encyclopaedia volume that included a bencher or siddur
> HOWEVER the question was asked I suspect with great care - When I
> finish bentshing off my phone should I kiss the phone BEFORE CLOSING
> THAT SCREEN?>
>
> Kissing that screen is like kissing THAT page in the 1000-page encyclopaedia

The question was not about kissing the screen being displayed; it's
not tangible and can't be kissed.  The question was about kissing the
*phone*, which has no more connection with the bencher displayed on it
than the cover of the encyclopaedia has with the bencher it contains.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other