[Avodah] Do you ever recite Birkas Hamazon on crackers?

Isaac Balbin via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Sep 15 21:15:25 PDT 2016

On 16 Sep 2016, at 3:20 AM, via Avodah <avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:
> Why not drink an extra revi'is of wine for kiddush bimkom seudah, and
> skip the pas habo'oh bekisnin altogether?

The Ikkar of a Kiddush is good herring quaffed with yellow or white
(you might even use the opinion of the Butchacher to be Meikel on the
shiur needed, as a reviis on an empty stomach might get you in trouble
when you get home). The wine is usually sweetly shocking.

The herring is the Ikkar. The cracker is Tofel for sure. A good firm
Eyerkichel might be an issue as their gastronomic prominence exceeds the
cracker. They can house four or five pieces of herring. (Chips, Nuts,
Popcorn, Candy are pretty close to Zilzul Shabbos :-).

One of my grandsons (okay, I'm responsible) sees herring and says "Oh,
herring cake" and wolfs down up to 5 pieces without anything else. At
least I know Poilishe Mesora is continuing :-)

[Moderator note: This post would have been off topic, but it does make
clear that sometimes the motivation isn't halachic. Why not make qiddush
on a revi'is of wine? While halachically sound, he *wants* the cracker
for his herring. -micha]