[Avodah] gem from the choshen

Simon Montagu via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Sep 16 02:59:49 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 05:32:30PM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
> http://www.breakingisraelnews.com/75645

> Sometimes incredible stories are actually true, and in this case, experts
> agree that a small onyx claimed to be given to a Knight Templar over 1,000
> years ago and handed
> down through one family from generation to generation, is actually
> what the present
> owner claims: a gem from the breastplate of the High Priest in Jerusalem

The article says 'According to the Auret family tradition, the ancestor,
named Croiz Arneet deTarn Auret, received the stone from "the High Priest"
in gratitude for his part in freeing Jerusalem around 1189.'

A total shot in the dark, but wouldn't the only person claiming to be
Kohen Gadol in the 12th century be a Shomroni? Which would also fit with
the ktav Ivri. On the other hand, a Shomroni wouldn't have cared much
about freeing Jerusalem, so I don't know.