[Avodah] Rav Melamed on Metal Pots

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Sep 13 03:18:54 PDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 12:48:10PM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: While some poskim are willing to change the halakha based on modern
: materials others like R Ariel and R. Asher Weiss disagree and insist on
: the original halakha even for modern materials.

I am wondering about their "why".

For example, nishtaneh hateva (NhT) has been invoked on numerous
occsasions to reject applying Chazal's precedent to today's
situations. Saying we make our glass / metal differently than they did
seems to be of the same kind.

If anything, more plausible than some cases of NhT. Unless you're going
with R' Avraham ben haRambam's definition of "theory changed", in which
case, the grounds for changing the halakhah lemaaseh in light of today's
reality is stronger; no need to say Chazal's theory was wrong.

Is it some kind of Chazon Ish-like reasoning, that the law, once pasqened
by Chazal, is the law regardless of the science?

Or are they relying on an idea that RIB and then I raised, that "ta'am"
should not be defined scientifically? Or perhaps not in the scientifically
intuitive way?

Micha Berger             If a person does not recognize one's own worth,
micha at aishdas.org        how can he appreciate the worth of another?
http://www.aishdas.org             - Rabbi Yaakov Yosef of Polnoye,
Fax: (270) 514-1507                  author of Toldos Yaakov Yosef