[Avodah] Rav Melamed on Metal Pots

Isaac Balbin via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Sep 10 20:52:01 PDT 2016

From: Ben Waxman via Avodah
> http://bit.ly/2bYuDoe <http://bit.ly/2bYuDoe>

> Rav Melamed has ruled that based on scientific studies, metal pots (or
> at least some types) could be used for both milk and meat, without
> kashering them. However, for reasons he gives in the article, he rules
> that kashering is still needed. However, if one did make a mistake and
> cook dairy food in a meat (ben yoma) pot, it (the food) would still be
> kosher.

> Rav Lior has ruled this way in the past for stainless steel.

I believe this boils downs to whether there is the physics of Halacha,
which is separate from Physics and Chemistry as we know it. Who;st
the wording of e.g. T'aam, can imply pure Science today, when it comes
to Bitul, and "special numbers" there is seemingly a separate system,
which Rav Hershel would likely refer to as Mesora which should not be
moved from, right or left. After hearing many of Mori V'Rabbi Rav Hershel
Schachter's Shiurim, whilst one can detect that he is less inclined to
be stringent on issues relating to "dangers" such as fish and milk, as we
are meant to seek the best medical advice of our time, which I believe I
heard him say many times is precisely what Tanoim (and the Rambam etc)
did. However, when it comes to Issur V'Hetter, this is not applicable,
and we must follow both the logical system and the physics/chemistry of
Chazal, Rishonim and Acharonim in coming to a Psak. At the other end of
the spectrum, those who are more aligned with Kabbalah will also apply
all Chashahos to what is bad for one's health (I'm not sure they follow
the advice that X & Y is good for your health, though)