[Avodah] money of the public

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Sep 11 07:12:46 PDT 2016

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 01:26:21PM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: I saw one additional discussion of money of the public
: Shut ben Porat siman 10 from R Yosef Engel
:
: He quotes a Tzaddik that the money of the public is considered like
: (mamash) like Pikuach Nefesh.
: Thus in parshat "Ve-haya im shmoa" the language "u-ve-chol me-odechem"
: doesn't apear since it is already included in "u-ve-chol nafshechem" . Only
: in the parshah of "Ve-ahavta" that is in the singular does it mention
: "u-vechol me-dekakah"

I had a different understanding.

On the national level, we can talk about the Tokhachos. The fate of the
Jewish People is more closely correlated to merit than the fact of any
individual.

And so, in Shema we speak of "uvekhol me'odekha." How do we utlize what
Hashem gave us?

But in Vehayah im shoma we speak of "im shamoa ... venasat metar
artzekhem..." How do our actions impact Hashem's involvement in the
enterprise?

And thus "me'odekha" is indeed there, but in a very different role.

Micha Berger             A wise man is careful during the Purim banquet
micha at aishdas.org        about things most people don't watch even on
http://www.aishdas.org   Yom Kippur.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                       - Rav Yisrael Salanter