[Avodah] Learning Torah from Evil People (was: Mourning an Abusive Parent)

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat Sep 3 19:13:23 PDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 08:47:43PM -0400, Cantor Wolberg via Avodah wrote:
: My second question is: Can you learn Torah from a known pedophile?

The opinion I gave from R' Shimon Shkop's intro is not covered in this
broader survey. But over Shabbos I read this 2-part article by R
Dovid Lishtenstein that really covers the question with a wide variety
of rulings.

https://www.ou.org/torah/halacha/headlines/disgraced-rabbi-part-1
https://www.ou.org/torah/halacha/headlines/disgraced-rabbi-part-2

Mostly on this topic, but opens with a short discussion on how to handle
rumor and closes with a discussion of published works by a disreputable
but learned author.

Gut Voch!

Micha Berger             "And you shall love H' your G-d with your whole
micha at aishdas.org        heart, your entire soul, and all you own."
http://www.aishdas.org   Love is not two who look at each other,
Fax: (270) 514-1507      It is two who look in the same direction.