[Avodah] May one eat a salad at non-kosher restaurants while on the road?

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 17 14:48:56 PDT 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 01:50:45PM +0000, Professor L. Levine via Avodah wrote:
: Q. May one eat a salad at non-kosher restaurants while on the road?

: A. Rav Belsky, zt"l ruled...

: 3. Even if the knives were clean, if they were used to cut 'sharp'
:    or spicy vegetables, they will transfer the non-kosher taste from
:    previous usage.

The same OU published in JA Winter 2012, at the tail end
of <https://www.ou.org/jewish_action/01/2013/cut-fruit-at-the-office>
by R' Eli Gersten:

    The halachot of cut salads (assuming there is no concern of insect
    infestation) would be similar to what we discussed above regarding
    fruit. Sliced onions, radishes, lemons or any other spicy fruit
    or vegetable should be avoided, unless it is clear that they were
    cut in great abundance, in which case all the problematic onions or
    lemons would be batel.

Earlier in the article, R Belsky's other concerned were dismissed given
the office context (if the fruit platter didn't come from a non-kosher
restaurant or caterer).

But I find the difference of assumpions about davar charif interesting.
REG, unlike his boss of the time, isn't worried about a davar charif if
there is none in your own dish.

Micha Berger             We are what we repeatedly do.
micha at aishdas.org        Thus excellence is not an event,
http://www.aishdas.org   but a habit.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                   - Aristotle