[Avodah] Legions

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 17 07:17:06 PDT 2016

On 17/08/16 09:43, H Lampel wrote:
> On 8/17/2016 9:33 AM, Zev Sero wrote:

>> .. "xivyonim" is very modern slang, so why should we accept that it's
>> grammatically correct, and  is there even such a word as "divyonim"?

> Both are in Melachim Beis, 6:25 (kri and ksiv of the same word). All
> I did was a data search. I probably messed up the transliteration of
> the first.

The ketiv is "xari-yonim", "pigeon sh*t", while the keri is "div-yonim",
"that which flows from pigeons".    Either way, the base word is "yonah",
which is well known to be both masculine and feminine.

"Xivyon" (pl "xivyonim") is a modern slang word.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other