[Avodah] Minchas N'sachim

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 15 12:56:46 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:57:17AM -0400, Sholom Simon wrote:
: Why does the torah tell us -- so many times -- that the minchas
: n'sachim contains 3 issaron of flour per par; 2 issaron per ayil,
: and 1 issaron per keves.
:
: L'chora, it seems a bit redundant, no?

The oil and wine too:

Baqar: 1/2 hin (6 lug) wine and oil, 3 esronim (.3 eifah) soles

Ayil: 1/3 hin (4 lug) wine and oil, and 2 esronim (.2 eifah) soles

Keves: 1/4 hin (3 lug) wine and oil, 1 isaron (.1 eifah) soles

Owf for the chatas and asham of a metzorah are the only ones that get
nesachim and minchah (Menachos 91a-b), but I couldn't see where the
gemara discusses how much!

: I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question!
: Does anybody have any insights?

It am chiming in to let the chevrah know that I tried hard, but have to
throw in the towel. I couldn't find anyone discussing why the nesachim
are listed per qorban rather than per species of animal in the qorban.

Here's a homiletic take: The Ramban says that the repetition of the
gifts of each nasi (as the end of Naso) even though their contents
were apparently identical is because each nasi actually had entirely
different kavanos, relating teh silver tray speifically to their sheivet's
experience, the bowl is so meaningful for them to give, their soles
belulah bashemen... So that each qorban is listed separately because
each qorban was unique, even if the physical items in it were identical.
A lesson that kavanah matters.

Applying it here seems straightforward. Yes, ever par gets the same
3 esronim, 1/2 hin and 1/2 hin. But perhaps in each case it evokes
something different?

Micha Berger             When faced with a decision ask yourself,
micha at aishdas.org        "How would I decide if it were Ne'ilah now,
http://www.aishdas.org   at the closing moments of Yom Kippur?"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter