[Avodah] car rental corporate discount code question

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 15 12:04:32 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 12:12:54PM -0400, M Cohen via Avodah wrote:
: I answered that its mutar if either of the following are true..

: 1. The car rental agency is not makpid if pple that are not members use
: other discount codes...

I am not sure this is sufficient to make it mutar. You would need to
know that he is not only "not makpid" but even stands to gain. "Zakhin
le'adam". So you would need to talk to the relevant car rental agent.

But you have to be up-front that you are not a member anyway. Geneivas
da'as / "midevar sheqer tirchaq" is assur regardless of whether the
victim is Yehudi or nakhri.

Onaas devarim includes selling non-kosher meat to a non-Jew who will
assume it's kosher. Even if it has the same value to the purchaser.

: Or
: 2.      The Chabad's corporate discount w apply according to their
: Enterprise agreement.

I have a feeling the agreement is informal, so, likely after talking to
him he would be fine with it. There is no formal Chabad corporate entity.
Alternatively, there is a specific corporate entity that happens to be
Chabad-related that actually has the agreeement, and any other Chabadnikim
using the discount are also stretching the agreement. But as I said, I
think it's more likely there is just something informal in place.

Micha Berger             Weeds are flowers too
micha at aishdas.org        once you get to know them.
http://www.aishdas.org          - Eeyore ("Winnie-the-Pooh" by AA Milne)
Fax: (270) 514-1507