[Avodah] intelligent design

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Aug 11 12:07:37 PDT 2016

To echo some of Micah's remarks Kant rejected any proof by design. The
basic idea of the proof is that we use information about physical beings or
events to teach us something about non-physical beings or events. Modern
philosophy rejects any such attempts.

There is an interesting book  "Strictly Kosher Reading" by Yoel Finkelman
that devotes a chapter to modern popular charedi theology. He shows hoe
they try to avoid philosophy and base themselves only scientific fact. In
the end they ignore Jewish philosophy and all arguments against their case.
If these proofs are so strong they must defend why intelligent atheists
don't accept these proofs.
Basically because everyone else is irrational and only we are rational.

Rav Dessler goes in the opposite path condemning rationality and
intellectualism. Only a torah scholar can reach the truth. Therefore
everyone should subject himself to the Torah giant and not attempt to
reason for himself.

--
Eli Turkel