[Avodah] How to teach emuna

Efraim Yawitz via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 10 07:35:14 PDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016 at 11:25 PM, Micha Berger <micha at aishdas.org> wrote:

> In Yoshiahu's day, the number of people who knew enough Torah to even
> recognize one when they found one was small enough to qualify as a cabal.
>
> I don't think that is the traditional pshat.

> In Ezra's day, the masses had to relearn the the alphabet.

So what?  That is exceeding common today among people who do not deny in
any way that their ancestors were Torah-observant.

In short, do you really believe that Yoshiahu and Ezra were convincing
people about the origin of the Jewish people, i.e., the masses said to him
"Come on, everyone knows that we Israelites are just the descendants of
a bunch of local tribes and you made up this business about being slaves in
Egypt"?  If so, what did convince them?  If that's what you think, then I
guess the whole thing really is a scam.