[Avodah] How to teach emuna

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Aug 9 14:11:14 PDT 2016

On 09/08/16 16:25, Micha Berger via Avodah wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 09, 2016 at 01:02:21PM +0300, Efraim Yawitz via Avodah wrote:
> :> Yoshiahu's and Ezra's revivals are two of the most famous
> :> counter-examples of the Kuzari Principle -- and they're from our own
> :> history!
>
> : I'm not sure I'm ready to accept that these are "counter-examples".  Do we
> : have evidence that the "non-frum" in the days of Yoshiahu or Ezra denied
> : that their great-great-grandparents or whatever
> : did believe in the facts of Yetzias Mitzrayim and Matan Torah? ...
>
> Things today are not as bad as then. Even in some of bayis rishon's
> better times, most were ovedei AZ. So in the worse times, fewer had
> traditional grandparents to remember.

What makes you think that these ovdei AZ weren't also ovdei Hashem?  What
makes you think they weren't boki beshas (or its then equivalent)?  These
were *not* untraditional Jews.  They were active Jews who also worshipped
AZ, because they had a strong yetzer hara to do so.

> In Yoshiahu's day, the number of people who knew enough Torah to even
> recognize one when they found one was small enough to qualify as a cabal.

How do you know this?

> In Ezra's day, the masses had to relearn the the alphabet.

Where is this written?

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other