[Avodah] pilegish status

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Aug 8 15:13:51 PDT 2016

On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 10:01:51AM -0400, Akiva Miller via Avodah wrote:
:> 1- You would need a woman willing to be a concubine. ... ...
:
: Well, the author of that article is a woman who prefers that status, so I
: think she has pretty much proven that there are indeed such women in
: existence.

As I continued, actually have to agree to be a concubine. Not hide from
the fact by mentally refusing to translate "pilegesh", and wanting to be
the concept that remains.

:> 2- The price would be the eradication qiddushin. That's pretty
:> high. Or to put it another way, every women caught as an agunah
:> because we don't replace qiddushin with pilegesh is in a sense
:> sacrificing herself for qedushas Yisrael.

: I'm really not sure what you are saying here.

If we eliminate the problem of man-made agunos (as opposed to actual
lost husbands) by eliminating qiddushin in favor of pilagshos, we have
done *major* damage to qedushas Yisrael.

I don't think too many posqim would be willing to do that (assuming it
works), even though the human cost in lonely woman who can't close a
painful chapter in their lives is high.

Which is why I said that the women who are stuck agunos because we
are unwilling to pay that price are in effect sacrificed to preserve
qedushas Yisrael.

: The author concedes that kiddushin does have real benefits, and each of us
: might add to that list, as RMB did. But it also has drawbacks. Each of us
: weighs these factors differently, and given her experiences as an agunah, I
: can certainly sympathize with the weight she gives to the ability for a
: pilegesh to end that relationship unilaterally.

As I do too. But as I hope I said more clearly this time:

1- I don't think women today would be willingly become pilagshos, if they
really thought about what it means, rather than treating it as a dry term
to protects against igun.

2- The price in qedushah is just plain huge. We are talking about taking
an axe to the cornerstone of the qedushah of the Jewish home.

Micha Berger             Zion will be redeemed through justice,
micha at aishdas.org        and her returnees, through righteousness.
http://www.aishdas.org
Fax: (270) 514-1507