[Avodah] Tevilas Keilim from OU kosher halacha yomis

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 20 20:56:57 PDT 2016

On 07/20/2016 05:53 PM, saul newman via Avodah wrote:
> does a river work for tevilas keilim?

It depends what kind of river it is.  If it's fed by springs then
it's kosher, but if it's fed by rainwater or snow melt then it isn't.
Or it might be seasonal; kosher when it's made up of spring water,
but passul when it's swollen by rainwater and snow melt.

In the gemara there's a machlokes Rav and Shmuel about the Euphrates;
Rav says it can't be used in the spring when it's swollen with rainwater
but only when it's down to a low ebb, Shmuel says it can be used all year
round.  Then there's a machlokes rishonim as to whom we follow; Rabbenu
Chananel and the Rif say we follow Rav, Rabbenu Tam says we follow Shmuel.
The Rama says that bish'as had'chak one can rely on Rabbenu Tam so long
as the river doesn't dry up in the summer.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other