[Avodah] incorrect learning of Torah

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 20 11:48:34 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 08:09:19PM +0300, Eli Turkel wrote:
: The only point I was making was that according to tosafot earnest trying by
: an am haaretz is not learning Torah

Would you find it notable if I were to claim that an am haaretz sits down
in front of a Book of Mormon thinking it's kisvei qodesh, and earnestly
studies it, he is not fulfilling the mitzvah of talmud Torah?

That's different than an am haaretz who actually sits in front of an
actual sefer, studies it, and ends up with the wrong peshat. In this case,
he is studying Torah, but failing to learn it.

Tosafos is talking about a case where the student is being presented
false ideas by an incompitent melamed. Isn't that more similar to my
first scenario than my second -- albeit much less extreme quantitatively?

Micha Berger             A person lives with himself for seventy years,
micha at aishdas.org        and after it is all over, he still does not
http://www.aishdas.org   know himself.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter