[Avodah] Prophecy

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 20 10:05:24 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jul 20, 2016 at 10:19:15AM -0400, Cantor Wolberg via Avodah wrote:
: So if God will forgive those who have committed various sins thus
: annulling a negative prophecy, why couldn't the converse be possible --
: namely, God condemning those
: who had been good and then turned to sin, thus annulling positive prophecy?

Realize that the main function of nevu'ah is mussar, not forecasting.

A Compassionate G-d could choose to warn people that if they stay on some
course, they are headed for calamity. And so, as soon as they veer from that
course, the calamity doesn't materialize.

But G-d doesn't hold out promises of good fortune before they are certain.
It serves no moral purpose, and is just cruel.

Micha Berger             It is our choices...that show what we truly are,
micha at aishdas.org        far more than our abilities.
http://www.aishdas.org                           - J. K. Rowling
Fax: (270) 514-1507