[Avodah] Lions

Ilana Elzufon via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jul 19 01:15:32 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 2:24 PM, Saul Mashbaum via Avodah <
avodah at lists.aishdas.org> wrote:

> RET notes that the lioness does most of the hunting for the lion family.

Rav Dr Natan Slifkin has pointed out that this depends on the lions'
habitat. In the savannah, female lions do most of the hunting. (If I recall
correctly, because the open area is more conducive to hunting as a group.)
In more forested areas (like ancient Eretz Yisrael), male lions do more of
the hunting, using an ambush technique that works better with the thick
cover of a forest than in relatively open savannah. Thus various references
in Tanach to hunting by male lions.

This is in his Encyclopedia and somewhere on his blog, but I don't have
time to look for it.

Ilana