[Avodah] kedusha of non-O paraphenalia

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jul 12 14:07:18 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 01:35:55PM -0700, saul newman via Avodah wrote:
: http://forward.com/news/344480/watch-ultra-orthodox-rip-up-prayer-book-to-protest-western-wall-bat-mitzvah
:
: the commentors here have a fairly viscious back and forth.  but regardless
: of the propriety of ripping up the WoW's books from a social standpoint ,
: isn't it clear halachically that the prayer books have no kedusha ...

What are they? Modified sedurim, or traditional sedurim WoW happen to own?

If an apiqoreis writes a seifer Torah, it has no qedushah. But if an
apiqoreis buys a kosher seifer Torah, does it lose its qedushah?

And what if it's not an apiqoreis, but a tinoq shenishba (many of the WoW
are not from O homes) or a mumar letei'avon (honestly mislefd by a desire
for egalitarianism)? Or even a mumar lehach'is, but on a din derabbanan?
Even granted that WoW are sinning (and I fear I will get flack from some
long-time members for assuming as much) not every sin is heresy.

Micha Berger             It's never too late
micha at aishdas.org        to become the person
http://www.aishdas.org   you might have been.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      - George Eliot