[Avodah] RHS on shabbat - electricity

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jul 12 10:15:24 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 12, 2016 at 12:50:12PM -0400, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
: Did he discuss the status of electronic water meters on shabbos? This is a
: hot topic in Israel because they are being installed all over.

You might wish to look at the thread "If you have an electronic water
meter, can you turn on your faucet on Shabbos?" (split among at least
three adjacent subject lines) at <http://j.mp/14gTQhq> or
http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/getindex.cgi?section=I#IF%20YOU%20HAVE%20AN%20ELECTRONIC%20WATER%20METER%20CAN%20YOU

It was launched in July 2012, by one R' Marty Bluke. RHS's position was
not included, as far as I can tell. But we got quite a distance on pesiq
reishei delo nicha lei and delo echpas lei.

The consensus was "lo nicha lei" (IMHO) as we would prefer not being
billed, just as we wouldn't stop using the water if the meter were broken
and couldn't bill us.

So then it's a question of pesiq reishei delo nicha lei on a derabbanan,
a machloqes between the Trumas haDeshen and the MA (314:1).

Micha Berger             When faced with a decision ask yourself,
micha at aishdas.org        "How would I decide if it were Ne'ilah now,
http://www.aishdas.org   at the closing moments of Yom Kippur?"
Fax: (270) 514-1507                            - Rav Yisrael Salanter