[Avodah] Tzom Kal

Cantor Wolberg via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Sep 29 06:30:56 PDT 2016

An elderly Jewish man, Sam Cohen, 87 years of age, was told by his physician that it would be dangerous
for him to fast on Yom Kippur. He informed his wife that he didn’t care what his doctor said and
that he never missed a fast since his bar-mitzvah and he was going to start now. His distraught wife
called their rabbi who came to visit Sam. He told Sam that Jewish Law mandates he not fast on Yom Kippur.
Stubborn Sam told the rabbi that he always fasted and he wasn’t going to stop this year. The rabbi’s response
is one that could never be forgotten. He said, “Sam, you’re an idolater,” to which Sam angrily replied,”What do
you mean, rabbi?! I’m willing to sacrifice my life for Yom Kippur!” “Exactly,” said the rabbi. You’re worshipping
Yom Kippur, not the Almighty, Who has commanded you not fast if there is a danger to your health.”