[Avodah] KeViAs Seudah, MeZonos HaMotzi

Marty Bluke via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Sep 22 20:38:42 PDT 2016

R' Meir Rabi writes:
> A hurried everyday lunch and a standard hurried breakfast, does not
> constitute TKTd because its not, *what we usually do* but what we perceive
> as respectable living, that defines TKTd.

And yet the poskim that I am familiar with are mechayev that kind of
meal in Succa. The generally accepted psak is that you can't eat any
mezonos out of the succa.

On Friday, September 23, 2016, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi <meirabi at gmail.com> wrote:
> It is astonishing that any Posek would require eating even tiny amounts of
> Mezonos in the Sukkah.

I meant more then a kzayis.

R' Akiva Miller wrote:
> But there is another concept also, that bread is the ikar because it is the
> king of all foods.

There is no question that at the time of Chazal and until recently bread
was the king of all foods. But that has changed. In today's world bread
is in no way shape or form the king of foods anymore. As someone pointed
out many fancy restaurants don't even serve bread any more.

Therefore we have 2 choices. We can say that since Chazal were kovea the
berachos this way that doesn't change even though society changed, like
by tereifos and other halachos. Or maybe we should say that since society
changed hilchos berachos should change as well. Not change in the sense
of the Halacha actually changing but change in the application. As RHS
says, it used to be that sif 1 applied based on the circumstances now
that circumstances changed sif 2 applies.