[Avodah] Hadassim, Esrogim, and how much to spend on hiddur mitzvah

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon Sep 12 15:33:07 PDT 2016

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 08:34:58PM GMT, R' Yitzchak / Prof L. Levine shared
with Areivim:
: Click on the link to see an important notice regarding serious issues
: with Hadassim
: http://www.crcweb.org/Haddasim.pdf

Rabbis and Dayanim Fuerst and Reiss meation the lack of point in
spending "$70, $100, or $200 on an Esrog, and then risk not filfilling
the Mitzvah properly because the hadassim are not kosher or are acceptable
only Bdi'eved."

But is there a point even if your hadassim are mehudarim?

The limit we are supposed to spend on hiddur mitzvah is a shelish.
Milevar. So that means spending 150% of the non-mehudar. If you
can get in your town kosher esrogim for $40, it is appropriate to
spend more than $60 looking for hiddur?

Maybe that extra $10, $40 or $140 are supposed to be spent on other
people's yom tov expenses instead?

Micha Berger             In the days of our sages, man didn't sin unless
micha at aishdas.org        he was overcome with a spirit of foolishness.
http://www.aishdas.org   Today, we don't do a mitzvah unless we receive
Fax: (270) 514-1507      a spirit of purity.      - Rav Yisrael Salanter