[Avodah] Zelig

Arie Folger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Aug 19 05:41:38 PDT 2016

Since some august Ovedim seem confused about some aspects of Zelig and of
German, here is some additional info:
Zelig is written Selig in German and indeed means something like Chanun or
Asher. According to RMBerger in a long past issue of Avoda, it is the
origin of the word silly, the common denominator meaning blessed/bliss.

No, RIB, the G in Selig is not pronounced almost like a khaf; that's Dutch,
not German. In German, it is a hard G, or, depending on the word and the
area, a K.

The S of Selig is obviously pronounced Z, as that's how a single source
followed by a vowel is pronounced I'm German.

Whether to transliterate the financial G as Gimmel of Quf would possibly
depend on where one was and hence how it is pronounced.

Trivia: the German equivalent of zikhrono livrakha is seligen Andenken,
literally of blessed memory. We use it in our publications.

Kol tuv,
--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen,
Yours sincerely,