[Avodah] antidote for baseless hatred

Eli Turkel via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jul 29 05:42:38 PDT 2016

<<Let me give you an example. Suppose I said about my neighbor, "He isn't
going to be arrested." If he's done nothing criminal, that's certainly
true, but what image is created in the listener's mind? Or how about,
"He's not being charged with wife-beating." Again, this is true, but
the image that he may be beating his wife is false. And that image is
created because the listener is who she is. >>

R Zilberstein in a shiur on doctors giving out information about
prospective kallah/chattan. There are times that the doctor knows
information that would be important for the other side to know but the law
prevents him from revealing information.

R Zilberstein's advice was to say something like "I am not allowed to give
out this information"
exactly to hint that there is something to be looked into further. So
according to Rav Zilberstein there are occasions when one should exactly
say the above quote.

(BTW my doctor friends tell me that they are not even allowed to say this
without permission)

--
Eli Turkel