[Avodah] Icy Korach

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jul 6 07:16:23 PDT 2016

Did anyone see a meforash make a Qorach - qerach connection?
When the question hit me while taking off tefillin, the person across
from me asked if "qerach" was even Biblical Hebrew. With my infamous
spelling I shot back "asher qorkha baderekh" but that it with a khaf
(qar + -kha).

Hitting the BDB after the market opened, I see that after all the
references to baldness, there is indeed Bereishis 31:40, "veqerach
ballaylah" as the frost or cold of night in contrast to "chorev" -
the heat of the day.

There is also "qashlikh qarcho khefitim" (Tehilim 147:17), which is
actually about ice.

Also Iyov 6:16, 37:10, 38:29; and Yirmiyahu 36:30.

In particular, Iyov's usages are very similar in niqud, being
qamatz qatan, patach. In comparison to ben-Yitzhar's cholam patach.

Micha Berger             I have great faith in optimism as a philosophy,
micha at aishdas.org        if only because it offers us the opportunity of
http://www.aishdas.org   self-fulfilling prophecy.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                              - Arthur C. Clarke