[Avodah] Mourning an Abusive Parent

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Sep 7 15:19:06 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 07:33:09AM +1000, Rabbi Meir G. Rabi wrote:
: I'm pretty suspicious of employing a Derasha (HKBH is a parent, 3 Shutfim
: in a person) LeTaAma Dekra, to modify the application of the Issur of
: Chanufa.

: AFAIK it's a Derasha not brought in Midrash, nor mentioned by the Rishonim.

See the Birkhas Shemu'el (Yevamos 3:3) explaining Tosafos on Kesuvos
40a. Tosafos applies asei dokheh lo sa'asei to kibud av va'eim (KAvE).
Birkhas Shemu'el notes that we don't hold asei bein adam lachaveiro (BALC)
dokheh lo sa'asei BALM, and concludes that it must be that Tosafos hold
that KAvE is BALM.

See also the Minchas Chinukh (#33), who concludes Yom Kippur is mechaper
KAvE without asking their mechilah because KAvE is BALM.

On the other hand, the Rambam on Peiah 1:1 clearly labels KAvE as BALC.

As I said, it's an open question. Even lehalahakhah.

Micha Berger             Never must we think that the Jewish element
micha at aishdas.org        in us could exist without the human element
http://www.aishdas.org   or vice versa.
Fax: (270) 514-1507                     - Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch