[Avodah] intelligent design

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Aug 16 14:20:42 PDT 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 10:07:37PM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: To echo some of Micha's remarks Kant rejected any proof by design...

Kant formalized the general disinclination toward proof of metaphysical
claims that had been going on for a while. His problem wasn't with the
argument from design in particular.
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-metaphysics

And if one reads MmE with RACarmell's footnotes, enough of REED's
ideas come from Kant to make a strong argument that he was a Kantian.

I discussed in the past his position that both time and nature are
more reflective of how man perceives the world (since Adam, and
people who are not up at the level of neis) than of what's really
out there. Very Kantian.

Whereas:
: Rav Dessler goes in the opposite path condemning rationality and
: intellectualism. Only a torah scholar can reach the truth. Therefore
: everyone should subject himself to the Torah giant and not attempt to
: reason for himself.

is very non-Kantian. Kant would have you rely more on will and on first-hand
experience. (See the Stanford encyc entry, above.)

Here is a quote from MmE 1:75, taken from RACohen's "Daat Torah"