[Avodah] Safety warning re: microwave Pareve Fleisihg

Rabbi Meir G. Rabi via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Aug 25 17:07:51 PDT 2016

(Moderator note: Off topic, but I thought that if we raised the topic,
some warning that it may be dangerous should reach the full Avodah
audience as well. Any arguments by anyone who disagrees with RMR should
go to Areivim. [And knowing this crowd, someone will.] I am only bending
the rules to provide awareness that the issues exist. BTW, I have a
burn on my arm from steam from opening a bag of reheated sausages from
the microwave. 10 days later, still there. Thank G-d, nothing exploded,
though. -micha)

Since microwave ovens do not ever form intense clouds of heated steam,
the walls and ceiling of the oven do not become Milchig or Fleishig;
even if M or F foods are cooked without a cover.

However, boil-overs are V common in microwave ovens.

Therefore, one ought to designate the provided platter/turntable as either
M or F and designate a microwave safe plate of roughly the same size
which simply sits on top of the microwave turntable, for the alternative.

If a F food boils over it will make the turntable F. If afterwards,
a dairy food boils over on the same platter/turntable, the liquid will
act as a medium via which the absorbed flavours will cross transfer and
create BBCh

It is extremely dangerous to enclose any food to be heated in the
microwave. Whole potatoes and egg yolks MUST have their skins pierced.
Microwave ovens have been badly damaged by exploding potatoes and egg
yolks that due to the very rapid and extreme build up of pressure have
exploded.

Water can be heated well in excess of 100C, its usual boiling point,
and this happens in microwaves. You can try, with care, this little
experiment - heat water in a cup in a microwave (some of you may have
already experienced this) and remove it just before it has begun to boil
[may need to try this a couple of times until the you get the timing]. Add
sugar or coffee. The water will erupt like a volcano. There are recorded
injuries due to this phenomenon.

The water is actually hotter than 100C and has not yet been seeded [I
think that is the word used; its what we see when water boils in a pot,
bubbles form at various points where the surface of the pot is scratched]
and when sugar is added to this superheated water it suddenly releases
creating the eruption.

DO NOT EVER enclose foods in closed bags in a microwave oven.

Best,
Meir G. Rabi