[Avodah] "Shuv Yom Echad..."

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Aug 17 11:58:35 PDT 2016

On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 08:34:17PM -0400, Moshe Yehuda Gluck wrote to Areivim
(and eVaad 1):
: R' MB:
:> To be less extreme about it... I HIGHLY recommend stopping and spending some
:> real time imagining one's own funeral. Who comes, who doesn't -- and why?
:> Who does the family get to speak? What do they say about you in hespedim?
:> How much of it is real? What would you have wanted them to say? (And how
:> much of that is real?) How can you change the course you're on

: Stephen Covey in his Seven Habits book suggests this as an exercise to help
: you figure out what your personal mission statement should be. He has a
: slightly less "depressive" twist - he says (from memory), imagine that
: you're at your eightieth birthday party, and everyone gives a little speech
: about you, what is it that you want them to be saying about you?

It's also less emotional altogether; I am not sure it will leave the
same roshem and the same attachment to the resulting Mission Statement.

Speaking of Mission Statements, I suggested a tool that was used for
other purposes at Bank of America back when I worked for them. It
pushes you to think about how lower-scale decisions tie in to one's
Mission. So that it has more chance of shaping life rather than
remaining a nice platitude.

<http://www.aishdas.org/asp/hoshin-plan>:

   In a Hoshin Plan, upper management comes up with measurable goals for
   the firm. Each division head takes those goals that his division could
   help reach, and translates its items into smaller goals for his
   division. His group heads to the same to his goals, team heads...
   etc...

   This way, the individual programmer can be shown how his program, which
   people much above him in the hierarchy may never hear of, fits the
   team's goal, the group's goal, and so on all the way up to the firm's
   goals which must reflect its Mission Statement.

   Also, Hoshin Planning is an iterative process, at the end of the year,
   one can review the firm's goals against its accomplishments, and make
   more informed decisions about the goals to set for the next year.
   Enough hand-waving theory. I think an example would be illustrative.

   Subdividing this into three target ideals:
   Subdividing again:

   1. Internalizing His Will

   1.1. Daily learning
   1.2. Daily Mussar work
   1.3. Regular in depth learning

   Notice at this point I can start filling in actual tangible projects
   that I can meet by year's end. What daily learning will I start the
   year with? Should I raise the bar by year end or aim my year's growth
   elsewhere? And if so, what should the year-end goal be?

Micha Berger             Our greatest fear is not that we're inadequate,
micha at aishdas.org        Our greatest fear is that we're powerful
http://www.aishdas.org   beyond measure
Fax: (270) 514-1507                        - Anonymous