[Avodah] Pesukim LeShemos Anoshim

Isaac Balbin via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Aug 16 18:34:18 PDT 2016

There is a Minhag (Shelo Hakadosh and others) that before completing Shemoneh Esreh, one says Pesukim which relate to one’s name in that they start they start with the first letter of the name, and end with the last letter. This is for the Yom HaDin after 120 years unless Geula occurs before then.
What does the Minhag say, if anything, about the name Zelig (which is Asher, I believe). I haven’t seen a Pasuk that starts with a Zayin and ends with a Gimmel. Does one use a Pasuk which has Zayin and Gimel as a word together in the middle? I have seen answers that state that if the child is named after one person, then say one Pasuk which starts with the first letter of the first name and ends with the letter of the second name. However, others say if the parents only use the first name, for example, then this doesn’t apply. I realise that these things are not likely the most important things in the world, but it has occurred twice now, where two of my grandsons were named after my father a’h who was Shaul Zelig HaCohen.