[Avodah] Salted butter?

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sat May 7 19:49:31 PDT 2016

On 05/07/2016 05:26 PM, Simon Montagu via Avodah wrote:
> I heard over Shabbat that some people have a chumra never to eat salted butter, but no details why. Has anybody else heard about this and know what the hashash is? I couldn't find anything on line (except to note from Tenuva's site that they have unsalted butter with both rabbanut and mehadrin hashgaha, but salted butter only with rabbanut).

I am looking at a block of Tenuva salted butter, which bears the mehadrin
hechsher of Tenuva's own rabbi, R Weitman, and also the hechsherim of the
OU and Chug Chasam Sofer.   I assume Chug Chasam Sofer is a mehadrin-only
hechsher.

Tenuvah unsalted butter is available in 10g, 100g, and 200g packages
with normal hechsher, because it contains shabbat milk.   It's also
available in 10g and 200g with the mehadrin hechsher, and also in 10g
and 100g with the hechsher of Badatz Edah Hacharedit.
http://www.kashrut-tnuva.co.il/milk.php?actions=show&id=581

Salted butter seems to be available in Israel only in 200g blocks, and
only with normal hechsher, because of the use of shabbat milk.
http://www.kashrut-tnuva.co.il/milk.php?actions=show&id=582

However the butter sold in the USA, both salted and not, doesn't seem to
have this problem.
http://www.tnuvausa.com/fresh-from-the-dairy/try-something-fresh/salted-butter
http://www.tnuvausa.com/fresh-from-the-dairy/try-something-fresh/butter

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other