[Avodah] kitniyot

Chana Luntz via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 3 14:45:19 PDT 2016

RET wrote

> 1) A number of RZ rabbis still look for chumrot on kitniyot. I already
> mentioned kashering pots used with kitniyot and I just saw an article
> by a respected RY not allowing any kitniyot at all this coming shabbat
> which is not Pesach in Israel

And RBW replied:

>RET sent me the article on the subject. The author forbid cooking kitniyot
and dried fruit (he doesn't actually address eating something like store
bought chummous although some of the reasons he gives (see
>below) may apply).

>The author gave three reasons for forbidding cooking kitniyot on Erev
>Shabbat:

>1) Since the minhag of not eating kitniyot is rooted in the psak of the
rishonim, we don't say "ho'il" (since a sefardi may drop in, you can cook
for yourself).
>2) Since these products are forbidden, they're muktza
>3) Handling them may bring you to eat them.

>Regarding one: Like I quoted, there are poskim who do allow cooking because
of ho'il. But I found reasons 2 and 3 harder to understand.

>Re #2: Shmirat Shabbat K'hilchata rules that treif meat isn't muktza on
Shabbat because you can give it to goy. At first I thought that was only in
a case where you are likely to give it to a goy, but he also rules that
challa tahora is not muktza (when tahara is >practiced).  So what is the
difference in this case?

>Re #3: Really? Is it assur to hande food, period, on a fast day?

Of course, this is just a reiteration of the discussion we had last year -
here is my post.  http://www.aishdas.org/avodah/vol33/v33n069.shtml#10

The positions cited here appear to be taken directly from the Rav Poelim.
See the citation there regarding the issur of handling food on fast days.

>Ben

Regards

Chana