[Avodah] kitniyot

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Mon May 2 04:52:04 PDT 2016

On 05/02/2016 06:51 AM, Micha Berger wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 12:28:49AM -0400, Zev Sero via Avodah wrote:
> : On 05/01/2016 02:13 PM, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:
> :> 1) Pots: Yes there are various opinions and customs on whether or
> :> not one needs separate pots. One guide said that while it is true
> :> that kitniyot are batel b'rov, still one shouldn't batel an issur
> :> litchatchila. Therefore, he recommended that if one wants to cook rice
> :> for Shabbat, don't cook anything else after using that pot.
>
> : I don't understand how bitul lechatchila applies here.  When you're
> : cooking the kitniyos you are not deliberately being mevatel its taste
> : in the walls of the pot -- that happens automatically...
>
> To make explicit what might be the missing detail: Intentionally doing
> something that is mevateil issur (or basar bechalav) for valid ulterior
> reasons is not considered lekhat-chilah for this discussion.

This should be obvious, because if it were not so then it would always
be forbidden to cook kitniyos, or anything else that is batel berov,
even in keilim designated for this.

--
Zev Sero               All around myself I will wave the green willow
zev at sero.name          The myrtle and the palm and the citron for a week