[Avodah] meanings

Simon Montagu via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jun 30 03:51:51 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Rich, Joel via Avodah wrote:
> For the pasuk "Poteiach et yadecha" and for the placement of a comma
> before or after "vishei Yisrael" in retzeih, there are two possibilities
> with different meanings. (By poteiach-whose ratzon?) Can you switch off or
> should you pick one?

Another example in Hallel: ze hayom `asa Hashem, nagila venismha bo (is
"bo" hayom or Hashem? Most translations seem to go for "hayom", but
"veyyismehu becha Yisrael" in the kedushat hayom of 18 for regalim fits
with "bo" meaning Hashem)

My humble opinion: for pesukim, if there are two possibilities it's not by
chance, and mikra lo yotze mipeshuto -- including all its peshatim. For
tefilla, I'm not so sure, but I think you should probably pick one.