[Avodah] Boaz's nisayon with Ruth

Marty Bluke via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Sun Jun 19 02:25:55 PDT 2016

On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 7:27 AM, <T613K at aol.com> wrote:

> In one of my books it says that from the time Rus came to Boaz's field
> until the night in the goren it was three months.  It had to be three
> months because that's the minimum time from the time a woman is megayer
> until she can get married.  (Sorry I don't remember source.)
>

> *--Toby Katzt613k at aol.com <t613k at aol.com>..*

That raises a whole other set of questions, namely when and how was Rus
misgayer? Rashi at the beginning of the Megila claims that Mahlon  and
Kilyon married non-Jewish women and Rus was only megayer later. Others
claim that it can't be that Mahlon and Kilyon married non-Jewish women so
it must be that they were megayer them.  The Bach for example states that
Rus was megayer to marry at the beginning and then later was megayer a
second time lshem shamayim. R' Shternbuch in Moadim Uzmanim claims that
they were minors and therefore when they came of age could be moche and
therefore Rus was megayer a second time (ayen sham).

Therefore it is pretty difficult to tie the 3 months into the geirus.

In any case the din of waiting 3 months is a din drabbanan of havchana,
that you should be able to tell the difference between a child conceived as
a non-Jew versus a child conceived as a Jew. For all we know this din
drabbanan had not yet been formulated in the days of Boaz and therefore is
irrelevant.