[Avodah] Boaz's nisayon with Ruth

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Fri Jun 17 06:57:33 PDT 2016

On 06/17/2016 09:04 AM, Ben Waxman via Avodah wrote:

> Ben
>
> On 6/16/2016 9:07 PM, Zev Sero wrote:
>>
>> It's 192:1, and where's the contradiction?  He says they were in the same
>> bed, which is already in the pasuk.  He doesn't say or imply that they
>> did more than that.

> Number 1 he also brings Yehuda and Tamar when referring to the same gezira.

Yes.  So what?  What do you think that proves?

> Number 2, according to you what is the chiddush? That before the gezira
> it was permitted to get into a bed with a woman without her counting 7 days?

Yes, exactly.

> That gets you right back to the Rambam/Ramban machloquet.

No, it doesn't.  It has no connection whatsoever to that machlokes, and
I'm astonished that you see a connection.  *Everyone* agrees that there is
no issur mid'oraisa on a man and woman sharing a bed, even if she's
*definitely* a niddah, let alone if it's only a possibility.  Everyone
agrees that nowadays it's assur mid'rabanan, even if she's only possibly
a niddah.  Everyone also agrees that nowadays there's an issur yichud
even if she's definitely *not* a niddah.  None of this has any connection
to the machlokes about what level of issur is involved in an unmarried
couple having sex.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other