[Avodah] Boaz's nisayon with Ruth

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 15 23:38:24 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 08:58:34AM +0300, Marty Bluke wrote:
: The Rambam writes at the beginning of hilchos ishus that after matan torah
: any biah that is not l'shem kiddushin is an issur d'oraysa and he would get
: malkos. That halacha was certainly around at the time of Boaz.

Only "certainly" if Boaz held like the Rambam rather than the Ramban.

A ra'ayah for the Ramban is Yevamos 61a, which says that zenus (eg WRT
marrying a kohein) is relations between two people who are not allowed
to marry. Not all two people who aren't actually married.

The Rambam (lav 355) cites the Sifra, Qedoshim 77. However, the Sifra
inside distinguishes between being mechalel one's daughter lesheim zenus
vs not lesheim zenus. So I don't get it.

Micha Berger             "I think, therefore I am." - Renne Descartes
micha at aishdas.org        "I am thought about, therefore I am -
http://www.aishdas.org   my existence depends upon the thought of a
Fax: (270) 514-1507      Supreme Being Who thinks me." - R' SR Hirsch