[Avodah] Boaz's nisayon with Ruth

Ilana Elzufon via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 15 05:25:04 PDT 2016

RMBluke: The idea that Boaz was deeply in love with Ruth is probably a case
of us projecting our Western sensibilities and feelings of romantic love
onto a situation where they almost certainly don't apply.

I agree that "deeply in love" is probably be too much - but I think it is
quite plausible that he was falling in love with her, whether he realized
it before that night or not. It certainly makes it much easier to
understand the nisayon if that is the case. And even if romantic love is
much more emphasized in our time and culture than many others, I find it
unlikely that it did not exist at all in Biblical times.