[Avodah] Boaz's nisayon with Ruth

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Thu Jun 9 09:24:01 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 09, 2016 at 08:34:57AM +0300, Marty Bluke via Avodah wrote:
: And therefore what? According to Chazal Boaz was the Gadol Hador and he
: was also an old man. Why would a strange woman giving him a sign that she
: wanted to sleep with him tempt him? Why would that be called a bigger
: nisayon then Yosef faced?

I took Chazal to mean the story as I learned it in school was bowlderized.
I suspect that "vegilis margelosav" is sagi nahor. Eg, why "margelosav"
and not "raglosav?"

Second, being gadol hador just makes it worse. Kol hagadol mechaveiro
yitzro gadol heimenu.

(An idea with way too much evidence in support in the newspapers. Not
the drequency of the stories, it's still man-bites-dog. But the things
religious people and other role models are caught doing that most of us
aren't tempted to do....)

micha at aishdas.org        6 weeks and 5 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Hod sheb'Malchus: What is glorious about
Fax: (270) 514-1507               unity-how does it draw out one's soul?