[Avodah] Does Bat Mitsva girl continue counting during Sefira

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Wed Jun 8 14:55:44 PDT 2016

On Fri, May 27, 2016 at 11:13:32AM +0000, Aryeh Frimer via Avodah wrote:
: RMH wrote me off-net as follows: "While understanding that she
: wasn't Chayiv m'Shum Chinuch, she's also not Chayiv post Bat Mitzvah,
: and never will be Chayav...

I am wondering if the chiyuv of chinukh to follow minhagim may be more
binding than any minhag itself. If she is counting because that's what
women in her eidah do, poerhaps her post-bat mitzvah chiyuv is *less*.

: To this I responded: IMHO, there is a fundamental misunderstanding here
: regarding a women's recitation of berakhot on Misvot asei she-hazeman
: geramman (time determined commandments). As explained by Tosafot (Tosafot,
: Eruvin 96a-b, s.v. "dilma.") and Rabbenu Nissim [Hiddushei haRan, Rosh
: haShana 33a; Ran on Rif, Rosh haShana 33a; Ran on Rif, Kiddushin 31a.] a
: woman can make such a berakha because although it is voluntary there is
: a kiyyum haMitsva (proper fulfillment of the mitsvah) and she receives
: heavenly reward. Accordingly, she may also pronounce the attendant
: berakhot...

And because "asher qidishanu bemitzvosav vetzivanu" is a statement about
HQBH commanding the tzibur, so there is no sheqer inan einah metzuvah
ve'osah saying "vetzivanu".

For that matter, how does making a berakhah on a mitzvah performed for
chinukh work?

And returning to the case of an edah where women are nohagos to count
the omer, an Ashkenaziah would make a berakhah on a minhag too.