[Avodah] ohr lagoyim

Zev Sero via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jun 7 14:01:27 PDT 2016

On 06/07/2016 04:42 PM, Micha Berger wrote:
> Also the Sifri p' Chuqas #123 considers "mamlekhes kohanim vegoy qadosh"
> as the kelal for the perat of "eleh devarim asher tedaber el BY... vayasem
> lifneihem es kol hadevarim ha'eileh, asher tzivahu H'".

1. I think you got that backwards.  Ve'atem tihyu is the prat, and
Eileh had'varim is the klal.

2. I fail to see the point you're deriving from this.  How does this make
it a tzivuy of any kind?   However you read it, it's still a promise, a
proposed deal, not a command.

> As the Malbim says, to be a kohein is to be meyuchad la'avodas H'.
> Kehunah is a duty.

Meyuchad is not a duty, it's a status.  What one is meyuchad *for* can
be a duty, as here (except for the problem that non-bechorim were never
intended to do avodah), but the yichud is not a duty.  "Mekudeshes"
doesn't mean "obligated in the duties of a wife", it's the status of
being dedicated to one man, though that status by its nature *comes*
with those obligations.  And "harei at mekudeshes li" is certainly not a
command to do those things that a wife is obligated to do for her husband.
It's predicated on an understanding that she *will* do them, but it's not
itself any kind of command.

But all of this is beside the point, because a kohen's job does not
involve any kind of outreach.  Except for the two days a year that his
beis av is on duty in the BHMK he has no duties at all.

--
Zev Sero               Meaningless combinations of words do not acquire
zev at sero.name          meaning merely by appending them to the two other