[Avodah] listening to governments and derabbanan

Marty Bluke via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue Jun 7 03:51:58 PDT 2016

R' Elchanan in Kuntrus Divrei Sofrim has the following suggestion to
explain the Ramban. He suggests that there really is no mechayev for dinim
d'rabbanan. He says that why do we keep d'oraysa's? Because we want to do
the ratzon hashem. The same applies to dinim d'rabbanan. We assume that
whatever the chachamim were mesaken is the ratzon hashem and therefore we
keep them because we want to do the ratzon hashem.

This R' Elchanan is a fascinating contrast to the Meshech Chochma I
referenced who explains the Ramabam. R' Meir Simcha makes a very different
assumption. He assumes that every d'rabbanan is NOT necessarily the ratzon
hashem and therefore by d'rabbanans what is important is that you listen to
the chachamim and not rebel, the actual action is not as important ayen
sham.