[Avodah] modim

Joshua Waxman via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 24 20:48:27 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 10:37:23AM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:

>The gemara BK 16a says that one who does not bend in Modim after 7 years
>his spine turns into a snake. Given that spines probably don't last 7 years
>and the cemeteries are not filled with snakes I don't take the gemara
>literally (see however Tosafot ve-hu and kaf hachaim)
>
>I am more disturbed by the claim (Kaf haChaim in the name of the Zohar)
>that one who doesnt ben at modim does not come back in techiyat hametim.
>First the gemara in perek chelek implies that most people return in
>techiyat hametim. Second the popular opinion is that even the wicked spend
>11-12 months in gehinom and then go to gan eden and presumably return in
>techiyat hamettim.

Interesting. Is the Kaf haChaim, and the Zohar, interpreting the gemara in Bava Kamma 16a?
http://hebrewbooks.org/pdfpager.aspx?req=41181&st=&pgnum=106
https://he.wikisource.org/wiki/%D7%91%D7%91%D7%90_%D7%A7%D7%9E%D7%90_%D7%98%D7%96_%D7%91

That is, given that techiyat hameitim is from the luz bone, which is located atthe end of the spinal column, could the gemara be taken, allegorically, to mean that those people won't be resurrected?
Kol Tuv,Josh Waxman