[Avodah] modim

Micha Berger via Avodah avodah at lists.aishdas.org
Tue May 24 02:19:30 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 10:37:23AM +0300, Eli Turkel via Avodah wrote:
: I am more disturbed by the claim (Kaf haChaim in the name of the Zohar)
: that one who doesnt ben at modim does not come back in techiyat hametim.
: What bothers me the most is the sense of priorities. Without putting down
: bending at modim I find it hard to imagine that it is worse than murder,
: chillul shabbat, gilui arayot etc. According to this zohar large
: percentages of the Jewish people will not be resurrected over a "minor"
: halacha.

Well, since you already are reading this midrashically, how about...

Someone who doesn't bow at modim isn't being used literally, but as a
description of a kind of ingrate. Mouths the words of thank you, but
isn't moved by them.

And perhaps the point being made by the Zohar is that kifui tovah can be
the first step, the point at which a soul goes off course and ends up --
after a downward spiral through worse offenses -- not being revivable
at techiyas hameisim.

Micha Berger             Today is the 31st day, which is
micha at aishdas.org        4 weeks and 3 days in/toward the omer.
http://www.aishdas.org   Tifferes sheb'Hod: What level of submission
Fax: (270) 514-1507                      results in harmony and balance?